On July 3, 1776, Benedict Arnold started constructing a fleet on Lake Champlain.
- Fleet was meant to fight British General Carleton
- Carleton was going to attack America by crossing the lake
- Battle was fought on October 11, 1776
- Benedict Arnold was outnumbered by the British fleet, and fled during the night
- Arnold lost his fleet, but delayed General Carleton enough so that the British forces could not join together in the South
- General Burgoyne attempted this later in the war, but he surrendered at the Battle of Saratoga, a turning point in the War