On October 13, 1775, Congress approved two ships to be built to help protect the coastline of the American Colonies.
- Congress approved two ships to be built on October 13, 1775
- These ships were meant to protect the American coast
- Thirteen more ships were ordered on October 30, 1775
- When the Navy was fully established, the distribution of ships was as follows: 1 to New Hampshire, 2 to Massachusetts Bay, 2 to Connecticut, 1 to Rhode Island, 2 to New York, 4 to Pennsylvania, and 1 to Maryland
- Meant to keep the British away from major cities